Yomari Punhi (N.S. 1142) Observed in Canada
The Newa Cultural Society of Alberta (NCSA) in Edmonton hosted a special cultural event virtually via Webex to observe Yomari Punhi (Nepal Era 1142) festival on Sunday January 9, 2022. This was the 9th Yomari Punhi cultural event of NCSA in Edmonton.
Meanwhile, Yomari Punhi is celebrated on full moon day in December, after the end of rice harvest in Kathmandu valley, Nepal. NCSA is a non-profit local organization to practice, promote and preserve Newa culture and traditions in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
The Yomari Punhi cultural event was inaugurated by Dr. Hemanta Joshi, President of the Newa Cultural Society of Alberta (NCSA), by lighting the Twadewas, traditional Nepalese artistic oil lamps. In his welcome speech, Dr. Joshi highlighted on the importance and significance of Yomari and Yomari Punhi festival. According to Dr. Joshi, Newa people believe that celebration of Yomari Punhi brings them prosperity and good health; whereas eating Yomaries will help them adjust to cold weather. Newa people also believe that after Yomari Punhi, days become longer and longer at the rate of the length of pointed tail of the Yomari. According to Dr. Joshi, organizing cultural events like Yomari Punhi regularly in the community not only bring people in the community together in one platform for celebration and socialization but also contribute in preserving and promoting Newa culture and traditions. Mr. Purushotam Shrestha, President of Newah Society of Calgary, extended his Yomari Punhi Greetings virtually from Calgary and wished to work jointly with NCSA in promoting and preserving Newa culture and traditions in Canada. Dr. Keshab Shrestha, cultural coordinator and advisor of NCSA, currently in British Columbia, thanked to all the guests, community members and artists for making the cultural event enjoyable and successful.
In the cultural event, video clips related to past Yomari Punhi celebrations (N.S. 1134 to 1141) including group dance performance were streamed online to reflect on importance and significance of Yomari and Yomari Punhi festival. Audiences were also entertained by streaming pre-recorded instrumental melodies and songs prepared specially for the current Yomari Punhi cultural event by local artists and YouTube video clips related to Yomari and Yomari Punhi festival. The cultural event was jointly conducted by Mr. Tri Prasad Dhoubhadel, Vice President of NCSA, currently in Kathmandu; and Mr. Birendra Piya, Treasurerr of NCSA.
- अलबिदा संगीता
- हिमानी शाहलाई अमेरिकामा भव्य स्वागत (बिशेष तस्बिर र श्रब्य दृश्य सहित )
- जबसम्म समाजमा डिभोर्स गर्ने महिलाहरु बढदैनन,तब सम्म महिलाहरु प्रतिको सम्मान र अधिकार बढ्दैन
- डिसी महानगर क्षेत्रमा बसोबास गर्ने नेपाली महिला संगीता ढुंगानाको मष्तिस्क रक्तस्रावबाट निधन
- घाईते गम्भीर बिष्टलाई पचास हजार सहयोग
- मिसिगनकी एउटी महिलाले रद्धि ई-डाक (इमेल स्पाम फोल्डर)जाँच गर्दा ३० लाख डलरको चिट्ठा जितिन
- अमेरिकामा नेपाली जोडी नै खोज्दै हुनुहुन्छ ? नेपाली मन्दिरबाट बरबधु मिलन कार्यक्रम सुरू
- मेरिल्याण्डको चार्ल्स काउन्टीको घरबाट १२४ वटा सर्पहरू फेला ,मानिस मृत फेला परे
- पराजित भएका ट्रम्पलाई जिताउन प्रपन्च र षडयन्त्र गर्ने वकिल रुडी जुलियानी र माइकल फ़्लेनलाई प्रदान गरिएको मानार्थ उपाधि बिश्वबिद्यालयद्वारा रद्ध
- डिसीमा गाडी भित्रै गोली हानी २ जनाको हत्या ,एक चमेनागृहका कामदार समेतलाई गोली प्रहार